Allergic Reaction to Antibiotics

When you get infection due to bacteria, you will immediately be put on antibiotics. These medications help to cure and manage bacterial infections and diseases. In fact, the number of fatalities has reduced ever since antibiotics were discovered. These medications kill or inhibit the growth of bacteria in the body and when used correctly, they have the potential to save lives.

However, if antibiotics are used indiscriminately, they can wreak havoc in the body, including causing antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. Some people are known to be allergic to antibiotics and the reaction they suffer from depends primarily on the type of antibiotic consumed and the quantity.

Usually allergic reaction to antibiotics starts within 24 hours of taking the medication. People can get rash or hives on the face, neck, arms or other parts of the body. This rash can itch, ooze and get inflamed depending on the severity of the reaction.

Another allergic reaction is difficulty in breathing followed by choking. Some people might have trouble swallowing. Others may suffer from nausea and vomiting. This is known as anaphylactic shock. This is a serious allergic reaction as it can be fatal. Therefore, a person suffering from anaphylactic shock should be immediately rushed to the ER to get appropriate medication attention.

Children suffer similar types of allergic reactions, and just like adults they too can get abdominal discomfort and diarrhea as a result of antibiotics. That is why parents should never give antibiotics to kids without consulting a doctor.

Antibiotics like amoxicillin, ampicillin, penicillin, tetracycline, chloramphenicol, ciprofloxacin, nitrofurantoin and vancomycin are some antibiotics that can cause allergic reactions in adults and kids.

Usually if a person gets hives or rash as a result of taking the medication, he will be put on antihistamines and/or corticosteroids to reduce the rash and soothe the itching and inflammation. Coughing, choking and breathlessness are tackled through inhalers, while anaphylactic shock is treated by giving epinephrine intravenously.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *